Tuesday, 24 December 2013

MTC Week 5 - Vrolijke Kerstmis!

Some of the new Zone

So, it's Kerst Avond hier in de MTC!  Love that we have our p-day on this day.  We were able to give our teachers presents yesterday filled with candy we had left over and thank you cards. We got another 'Investigator" so now we're doing 2 a day.  Our new investigator seems fairly dutch, believes in something but not necessarily a God and she's really happy with her life.  It was hard to find out what she needed but we are slowly making progress.  This week has a been a good one. 
So remember when I said how Elder Strickwerda and I were asked to demonstrate "how to begin teaching" for a large group of missionaries by speaking with investigators? One guy we got to speak with in front of this group is an amazing guy.  He he is in his 60's I think.  After we opened his feelings up, enough for the other missionaries to invite him to come unto Christ, Elder Strikwerda and I were asked to move to the back where we would watch.  It was hard to not have the chance to speak with him.  I really wanted to learn more of his life.  

When we demonstrated for the new missionaries we learned that he was born in 1949.  He is a Vietnam Vet. and is married.  He lost his leg and is an amputee. You are probably thinking he lost his leg in the war......he did not.  I am pretty sure it was in the 1990s when he almost died from an artery clog or clot in his leg.  This almost killed him .  When  he arrived at the hospital, the workers there called his wife saying that he might not make it.  I think a couple of the doctors there figured if they amputated his leg he could live so that's what they did.  After the surgery he had machines and tubes that allowed him to breathe, kept him alive, and he could not move.  In the sheet that we acquired that tells us about this man it mentioned he had a friend  who hooked him up with the Missionaries.  As we tried to find out about him and his life we eventually asked how he met this friend.  Before he almost died and had his leg amputated, they did not know each other.  This woman was shopping the day of his surgery and was inspired to go to the hospital and find him.  She had never met him.  She did not know anyone who knew him.  She called her husband and told her she was going to be late going home because she had to go to the hospital and find a man named *.  She did just that.  She was going through the hospital looking for him.  As she asked one of the nurses where a man named * was who just had surgery he called and said, " I am he."  Only family was able to visit but this woman was allowed to speak with him.  As she entered the room and pulled a chair beside his bed he pushed the button to raise his back so he could sit up. For myself,  it is very hard to understand what people are going through if I have not experienced it myself.  I don't know what they are going through and I don't know 100% how they feel.  That is what makes the Atonement so amazing.  Our Savior knows exactly what we are going through and because of that, He knows what we need. They started talking.  I don't know how the exact conversation went down but it got to the point where she removed her metal leg and put it on the table beside him. For the next couple of hours they talked and cried.  She told him why she was there.  She told him that his Father in Heaven, God, sent her there.  He came to know God.  He sees the blessings in life.  When we asked him how God has blessed him in his life he stood up and walked in a circle.  When he sat back down he replied, " I can walk."  He also shared with us that God took his leg.  God took his leg so he could help, through his message, other people.  I have yet to fully ponder on his words. God took his leg so he could help, through his message, other people....he learned how to walk again.  He learned how to dress again.  He learned how to walk up and down stairs again.  He learned how to shower again and he learned how to drive again.  He is an incredible man.  From that 5-10 minute exercise I was intrigued and had the desire to know more.  I was given that chance yesterday.  As I was walking into the cafeteria, I saw this man walking towards me.  I waited and when  he was close enough called him by name and asked if he remembered me.  When we got close he recognized my face.  We talked very, very briefly and I asked where he was going.  He replied, "walking." I invited him to come eat some lunch with my zone and me.  He at first said no but I told him to check what the cafeteria had, today was a good day of eating.  He looked, saw shepherds' pie and agreed as long as I was going to help him with his tray.  We got his food and then sat down at a table with the zone.  We talked about what he liked to do.  He is an artist.  He paints.  He loves to paint landscapes and sculptures. He also goes to elementary schools where he teaches children how to paint. He has been painting for not his entire life.  In fact, he started painting I think 10 years ago or a little longer than that.  Not long.  He shared a question he asks to the kids.  "What do you use to paint?"  Of course you say paint, a brush, paper or something like that.  He says, "your eyes."  You have to use your eyes to see what the objective is.  He then spoke about the desire.  He was given the chance to help others and he acquired the desire.  He was given the opportunity to walk and he learned because he had the desire.  He was given the option to learn how to paint.  He couldn't have done it if he didn't have the desire.  This has made me rethink of what , "wanting to do" and "having the desire" are.  Made me think how they are different.  I want to serve a mission.  I want to help others by sharing what I have found has helped me be happy in life.  I really want to but do I have the desire?  Like....do I really, really have the desire.  

I am grateful for this man.  I now know why God "took" his leg.  I am beyond happy that he has followed the direction that he received from the Heavens.  He truly does help people.  I hope we can all find out what God wants us to do.  I am more than positive that my time here in the MTC was the direction I was to go.  The things that have been brought to my attention are things that I never gave thought to but are so important.  I hope that we can spend our time thinking over the word desire.  I hope that we can spend time thinking what God wants us here to do.  We the know the general answer which is becoming more like Him, but what's in between the lines for us.  We always have a meaning.  It doesn't matter how old we are or what we are and what we aren't good at.  Some things to think about.  

Vrolijk Kerst!  Ik houd jullie van en Ik hoop dat wij een geweldig kerstmas hebben.  I probably didn't get the structure or spelling right but I think that's pretty close : ) Tot volgen de keer!  

Elder Holt

On Christmas Day...
 I love and miss you and hope you have an awesome Christmas : ) We had an amazing devotional last night on Christmas Eve.  Made me really feel the Christmas spirit.  Our speaker, Elder David Evans, spoke about communication.  It is so important how we communicate with people whether it be with our words, actions or gestures.  Communicate that which uplifts and does not corrupt.  He also brought something up that I think is so important.  If we read Moroni we can read epistles, letters, that are written from father to son.  Elder Evans shared some letters he and his dad exchanged while he was on his mission.  It gave me the thought that words that are written stay still and in place longer than words that are said.......I know....deep eh!? haha Basically it's nice to receive letters letting you know that you are appreciated.  I am going to start doing this more and I hope that you will start as well.  Gifts are cool but a heart-felt letter.......now that is a precious gift.  Write letters to those who have blessed you.  I know that it will help them and give them a little bit of that Christmas spirit. 

I want to say that my time here in the MTC is amazing.  I know I pretty much say that every time but it's true.  It's hard to pinpoint every blessing we have been provided when we are in the real world.  We have so many distractions whether it be work, school, tv, sports, friends.......pretty much anything.  Here in the MTC, I have been able to see blessings and been directed to things that I did not pay attention to.  I am one of those missionaries that knows that God is there and He is listening.  I haven't had a dream or revelation or spoken face to face with God but he has answered my prayers on more than one occasion and that is more than good for me.  I have come to know that our Savior, who is our greatest gift, is living today.  He bled and suffered so that I could right my wrongs and become a better and stronger person.  I sustain all of our prophets, apostles and church leaders.  We are hand picked by God according to our desire, diligence and love.  The more I read Het Boek Van Mormon, the more I can understand its realness.  This book is not a book of man.  The words are revelation from God.  It is important to show love to everyone we come across....just as the Savior did for many on this earth and just like He does for us everyday.  If you say that you can not see His love....you do not have the desire to look because I can tell you He does love you and he helps you more than you realize.  Share the same love that Savior has for everyone.  Say Merry Christmas to those you cross paths with.  Help someone with their groceries.  Spend a couple minutes and ask how some one is doing.  Be better than your best.  Some of us are very fortunate to know that we are loved by God so much that he sent his only begotten Son to fulfill the Atoning sacrifice.  Spread that message and love to those who do not.  That is my favorite Christmas gift and I hope that we can all remember that If it was not for the love our Father in Heaven and His Son we would be a lost cause. 

I love you.  I miss you.  I am happy and I hope that you all are Happy.  Please don't get lost in the presents and the temporal things that really don't matter.  They are nice and I know that we are excited to get things but remember the greatest gift of all time : )  Remember what He did and what He does.  Remember why He came to the Earth.  I love Him and I can say from experience that He shows his love back.  All we have to do is ask and seek.  Vrolijk Kerst.

PS....I challenge all of you to write a letter to ones that you love dearly.  Write a letter telling them how much you love them and how grateful you are for them.
--Elder Holt


No comments:

Post a Comment