Well....since I talked to you last, my Dutch has progressed very
much. We are on a new investigator and he is way harder than our
first. If we are confused and don't know what he is saying he kind of
shows his frustration haha He is more outspoken and expresses his
opinions way more. I found out that I am older than all of my teachers
except 1! haha I have 5 teachers now so it is interesting to see how
much more.....mature than me they are. They know their stuff. They speak very
well. Our newest teacher was our first investigator. She spoke so well
that we all thought she was actually from Amsterdam and attending BYU.
Turns out she is from Utah and started speaking dutch exactly how we
are so it gives us even more hope.
We had an amazing Thanksgiving. To start the day we had a
devotional. The guest speaker was Russel M. Nelson....the dutchies were
5 rows away from him! It was a really cool experience. Like what
Grandma Sutton said from her experiences with apostles and what
not...you could tell when he was in the room. When he spoke you could
really feel the message and understand what he was saying. It was an
amazing experience and it's only going to get better! With christmas
up....who knows who we're gonna get. After our devotional we had our
turkey dinner....It made me miss our dinners at home....it was good...but
it wasn't home made and the stuffing wasn't on as a high level. After
lunch we did our service project. We made 350 200 and some bags of food
for children who don't get lunches. We exceeded our goal and I got to
work with my friend from St Albert for the project. It's really awesome
to see people I know and to see how much we have changed. Sister
Rodgers from my YSA ward was beyond surprised when my district told her
that I studied the most when it came to language and scripture....haha
she knew me a month ago and found it so hard to believe but it just shows
how much we can grow if we have the desire and ask for the help. That
reminds me of something Sister Nelson, Elder Russel M. Nelsons wife,
said. She read a scripture and I have it written down in my study
journal but the message was, It is time to put away the childish things
and become the man that your Father wants you to become. I loved that
and that helped change my view so much. Again, I have the best
teachers ever. We had an amazing experience about the importance of
studying. Our teacher showed us his mission study journal and that
thing is beyond impressive. He gave us tips on organizing...he showed
us tricks when it came to scripture study and he showed us what you can
become if you serve your mission not for yourself. Other than class,
devotionals, and more class, not a whole lot has happened. I can tell
you all that humbling ourselves and just asking for help, showing our
love by doing what He asks will help us in ways beyond what we can imagine.
I have learned that and continue to learn that every day. Sometimes
you don't see the progress if you look at your progress daily. Being
here for 13 or days and looking back at the experiences, what I have
learned, how I have changed since I got here, are a testimony to that.
Just like looking back at our progress in a long term sort of way, we can prepare looking into the future in a long term view. An interesting thing that I am learning to do is to look at where I want to be in a long
time...It will take time but it is possible. I gotta go but I love you
all. Prepare for the long run...not tomorrow and remember what is
important in the long run...not tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment