It's pretty normal to get a call from the mission President. He
calls to say thank you for the time that you served zones and then, if needed,
extends and explains the new assignment that is given to you. He called
to inform me that I was to come to Antwerpen to serve the District and that I
would be with a missionary who would be on their 2nd transfer. However, I got a
call Tuesday evening informing me of changes being made and that I was going to
become a ''father'' and receive my 1st baby boy. Now it's my companion
and I, who's been in the land for almost 1 week and we're loving
white-washing. It was all really sudden so unfortunately the Elders who
were previously here didn't have a lot of time to get things prepared for us
but it's all working out. Luckily Elder Ames and I white washed Eindhoven
when we were there so we have ideas on how to get control of the area.
It's been great being back in Belgium. I didn't realize how much I
loved the Vlaams accent but at the same time...I miss the Dutch accent.
Weird how that works. Our first day, Elder McBride and I spent some time
walking the streets, talking to people as we waited for the Zone Leaders to
bring us to our apartment. We were greeted with a warm welcome by a man
from a foreign country who decided he wanted to wrap a bandanna around his fist
and let us know he doesn't like us : ) haha I don't think he fully understood
who we were but the Lord watches over us and we were able to defuse the situation
and move forward. As we continued to speak to people, we made it back to
the Central Station to find 20 police cars and tape all around the station
indicating to people that they should not enter. Turns out someone left
their bag and they needed to make sure it wasn't a bomb. I got to say...after
that first night of doing missionary work for 1 hour...I was a little shaken up
but the next morning Elder McBride shared what he learned in his personal study
which really helped bring that level of confidence up. I was not only
reminded that we will be taken care of, but also reminded how much others have
gone through, which has been way worse, in order to share the truths of life
with those around them for their Lord.
So the next day we went out, looking forward to serve the citizens of
the area. We met some really nice people. As time went on...the
perspective of the city changed to the point where I didn't remember our friend
who liked to show off his bandanna or the incident at the train station.
The love that we were developing for the people was starting to overcome the
fear and you could see that the people could feel and notice the love.
We get the privilege to meet with people who are from all over the world
here in Antwerpen. Some of whom are LDS from another country. As we tried
to make it home...we ended up getting a lost. We got lost in the same
neighborhood as we met our bandanna friend in our first day. By this time
we didn't remember that and just did our best to reach out to others and give
them the opportunity to say ''yes'' or ''no'' to what we shared. After all,
''100% of chances that aren't taken, are missed." We found a member
who was from Mexico but became less active. We had an awesome discussion
with her and enjoyed being able to help remind her of things that she had
forgotten. We found a man from Florida who was filled with experiences
and insights that reassured us that people are ready and just need to be
invited to listen to the words that we share. We even found a lady who we
exchanged numbers with to invite her to a YSA activity. It was these
experiences which helped me realize that coming over fears is hard but that if
we focus on what the Lord has offered us to do, that He will help the weak
things become strong.
Antwerpen is filled with many religions and beliefs. One of the
largest being Jewish. We had a conversation with a Jewish man on the
train who in return asked where we had learned the insights that we
shared. You could notice that his countenance had changed throughout the
conversation to the point where he wanted to learn more. We got to share
with him how we had learned the things we talked about, which was through
prayer, and share how prayer can help us. I kind of hesitate in giving
people who are so active in their faith a mormon.org card and sad to
say I wasn't going to give him one but he ended up asking us if we had anything
to give him like a business card. Another reminder to help people come
closer to God through the restored Gospel.
It was a good week. I've been trying to put focus on learning how
I can do missionary work at home, but learn how I can do that while being
here. As we were in the grocery store, there was a man in front of
us. I decided that this was a situation that I could see myself in while
being at home. So...a prayer was said in my heart and I decided to crack a joke
about something which lead to a conversation. Eventually we both paid for
our food and it was time to just let him know that I was a follower of Christ;
Iasked him a question, and shared that what we did was help people to
continually develop their faith and spirituality in Christ. In the end we
got his address and will be going over soon. It can be scary because we
think it's weird to open our mouths to those we don't know or even those we do
know but there is only one way to build confidence and that’s the same way as
building a house.; starting somewhere and continually moving forward by
building upwards. It's a great feeling to find those who are
willing. It's a feeling that really can only be experienced and not
described. It's a feeling that is filled and not emptied. Even if the
invitation is declined...you still have that feeling because you know that you
did your best and that's all that is asked. You will be surprised how
many people are actually open to hear your words. After all, everyone has
questions with no answers and almost everyone loves good. The success and
joy of sharing the Gospel that has blessed our life doesn't come from a yes
that depends on another’s free will, but comes from the yes that depends on
your free will to be that friendly person to give the chance to another to
learn the truths of eternal joy.
Antwerpen is a great city and what a blessing it is to be here.
Love you all and I hope everything is good. I've been thinking about
happiness vs joy and I invite you all to do the same.
Take care and love you,
Elder Holt
No comments:
Post a Comment