Monday, 10 August 2015

Week 89 - The Power of Unity

Goede Morgen allemaal, 

It´s been a great week here in Apeldoorn. Hard to think that at the end of week we have transfer calls and everything could change.  Elder Abankie and I have been having such a blast and have had the opportunity to learn a lot from one another.  We’ve got at least one more week together so we’re ready to make the most of it.  Who knows...maybe we´ll do another one together!  Stay tuned until next time.

Last week I mentioned how we got to set up an appointment with a friend of the members while we were doing service.  Happy to inform you that the lesson went great! We got to teach with our member friend as we taught our new friend who´s learning about the church.  Their input and testimony was great.  Heck...it was like they practiced teaching with us! Elder Abankie and I don´t get to teach too much together seeing how we´re on exchanges all the time....but I don´t think you would be able to tell. The Lord teaches us about the power of unity and even gives us guidance to build up unity. It´s been cool to learn and try to apply these things in order to help gain experiences about these things over and over again to help me get a better grip and testimony of it.

We´re taught on our mission to talk about lessons and to figure out what could have been better.  We´ve done our best at applying this and figured out after the very first lesson, how we could communicate with one another throughout the lesson. Elder Abankie is a great example of being a friend before being a companion.  His example and help teach me the power that comes from this and has shown that strong unity comes from friendship and not from being “on the same page”. ´´Nobody cares how much you know until they know how much you care.´´  

We had a surprise phone call on Monday.  It was from a friend who we use to teach but they decided they could use some space and time to figure things out.  They really needed someone to talk to and seek help from.  Unfortunately, as missionaries, we´re advised not to give life counsel – just teach what can help them but now I understand why and appreciate that counsel given.  We can´t solve people’s problems...we help them solve their problems.  It was nice to know that our friend trusted us and felt impressed to reach out to us. Amazing how feelings of a sort of family-hood is created with the people you serve.  We got to have another lesson with this friend a couple days later. This time we brought a member with us who would be able to help with advice.  It was a great week.


I have some photos so I´ll email them today.  I love hearing about everyone at home and hear how they´re doing.  I miss you guys and am excited to reunite...but as for now...we can wait : )  LoveYouBye.


Elder Holt

with one of Uncle Bob's converts

Home made Pho


No comments:

Post a Comment