Monday, 20 July 2015

Week 86 - Week One in Apeldoorn

Hey everyone, 
Fast week gone by but luckily we got time to do some missionary work.  We started off the week by getting some things done for the zone members with the new transfer.  In the mission zone, visions were created in order to help us missionaries focus on skills from the chapters in PMG we are studying.  This transfer its Chapters 7 and 11. We're excited to apply and learn these skills ourselves and to see what works better than others.  

We had a good week being able to teach some new friends that we've made.  It's always a little mind blowing when you hear what others believe.  A lot of what they say has so many truths that we share but is said in very different manner.  I feel like I've been learning the lesson, how not to judge people from how they look, act, what they say or how they say it.  Mostly the latter points.  What they say and how they say it.

As people...we think very differently.  A lot of the times...we say things very differently, maybe decide we don't agree with another and begin to try to convince one another why what we say is the better way without trying to understand where they are coming from.  This leads us to come against each other when in reality, we're actually agreeing with each other.  

This past week...people have shared ideas, comments or beliefs with me that set off a red light and compel me to want to share plainly and simply what the ''truth'' is.  My companion has this gift where he can hear and feel out what people are saying, find and understand what they mean and explain what he feels these people are saying.  This has led to me being able to understand what these people were trying to get across.  

Words can be tricky things.  How we word our thoughts and feelings can be really tricky.  Especially if you don't take the time to explain yourself; what you understand from the person who is sharing them with you.  I've seen my conclusions of people be totally wrong as I strive to understand where people are coming from.  I've seen that what people actually are saying is hidden behind a whole bunch of preconceptions I have and if I don't take the time to think in the other persons shoes, and ask them questions to fully understand....that I will not understand what they are actually sharing with me so I've been trying to figure out how one can become better in understanding another’s point of view.

1. Listen without trying to figure out.  Just listen and hear what they say. 2. When they are done, if you don't understand, explain what you understand and ask them if that is what they mean. 3. Let them know they are right, even if they are not fully right...because a part of what they say could possibly be right. 4. Share what you feel and think and show how their comments and yours actually work together.  You don't need to point out what is not right. 5.  Share what you feel but respect other’s point of view. I'm sure you don't like to be told you are wrong, especially if it's your thoughts or feelings, so let them choose what to believe.  All we are asked to do is share truths that we know and let others govern themselves.

We had an awesome zone conference.  I was happy that the mission got to meet the new mission president and his wife.  It was weird to hear some things that missionaries had made up in their minds about them.  Nothing bad or horrible, just funny silly things that come with pre-conceptions.  They were all dispelled, and not through missionaries who had met them, but dispelled because everyone got to meet them and learn who they were for themselves.  

Got to meet a few members of the new ward and got to introduce myself.  A lot of people are on vacation so I didn't get to meet everyone but I am looking forward to learning from and serving by the side of these amazing people.  I even got to teach Gospel Principles class!  I was asked to do it right before church started.  I wanted to say no or try and talk myself out of it but I remembered how great of an opportunity that would be to learn and to practice.  Who cares if it doesn't go well...laugh about it.

All in all, it was a good week.  It's a plus that I don't have to visit the bathroom every hour and that I can eat delicious Suriname food.  I think that's good.  I miss you guys and love you a ton.  Enjoy the weather and have fun being able to spend your days together.  We had a discussion over ''Families'' in class on Sunday.  I was reminded that a lot of my favourite memories are ones doing things with my family, like sitting by the fire, playing basketball, watching sports on TV, playing board games, playing keep away from Max and etc.  Love you bye.

Elder Holt




No comments:

Post a Comment