Monday, 16 June 2014

Week 29 - Putting All of Our Trust in the Lord

T'jonge jonge...I totally forgot that it was Fathers’ Day...they don't have that here. It's ok.....it’s the World Cup now...there are "more important" things going on.  haha
This past weekend the Lord’s Branch here in Genk was blessed by attending the Baptism of our good friend here.  My friend...we'll call her Kiya...is an amazing women of faith, patience, charity, devotion, and so many more but I just don’t have time to write them all.  I’ve been blessed by meeting with her for 7 weeks now.  It’s really something to look back on the first time meeting with her....and then watch make her first covenant and then participating in her confirmation.  She is a very strong women.  It has been a blessing watching her progression and seeing her life change for the better.  She is the definition of an example.  
We had a really special baptismal service.  She chose her hymns because of what they were saying and how they related to her.  She asked 2 of our members to give talks...they were 2 well-put talks that inspired all of us...especially our friends who are working to get baptized in a couple weeks.  We listened to uplifting music as she and the priesthood holder got changed and we just basked in the warm, comforting, joyful feeling that attended us throughout the baptism.  Kiya's friends, who introduced her to the Gospel came to the baptism!  They drove a couple hours to get there and it made her day!  Kiya bore her testimony at the end of the service and man...I can’t write to you how impressed and happy I am for her.  
We had 3 of our friends who attended Kiyas baptism.  They got to see how a baptismal service went and then they got to see how the confirmation went yesterday.  My MTC companion and his companion invited their friend who came to the baptismal service.  She is working towards her baptismal service.  We had a total of 4 friends there....and the ward members made everyone feel right at home.  I’ve noticed that everyone here takes fellowshiping into best-frirendshipping..haha. Heck, Kiya got gifts and hugs form the ward members and our friends who are working to their baptism.  They have all become like family...it’s a nice thing to see.  
The Lord has been blessing this branch.  Maybe it is because they all sacrifice so much to help us get to all our appointments.  Maybe it's because they pray all the time for us and the people we are teaching.  Maybe it’s because they join us all the time when we teach our friends and a friendship is created.  Maybe it’s because the Lord sees that the time is right for the Branch here to grow.....there are so many possibilities.  I think it has to do with all of them.  But, I think the biggest factor is that the branch members put ALL OF THEIR TRUST into the Lord.  Like every single ounce.  They are all converts of many years.  They have had many trials because they are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  Their stories have a pattern of submitting everything to God.  They pour their heart and thoughts out and leave the rest to the Lord willing to accept His answer.  One of the members here was going to a Seminary school to become a baptizing Priest or something like that. He said he became concerned that he couldn’t find the God in the New Testament. He recalled walking to his room and seeing his poster of the Savior and Mary.  A thought came to his mind that he couldn’t worship the two.  He knew it wasn’t right. So....he tore the section with Mary off and put it aside.  He then stacked things up as high as he could in his room in order to get as close as he could to God.  He then expressed every thought and feeling in prayer.  He stated at the end, "If you are there...I beg you to please help me find you". After his prayer a thought came to mind to go get a haircut. Haha, he thought that was funny.  But he said in his prayer that he could follow any direction he got so our member went and got his hair cut.  As he was walking to get his haircut...two missionaries tapped on his shoulder and introduced him to the restored gospel.  They went back the next day to speak with our member and boom.....invited him to get baptized.  He was baptized; right before graduation from his Seminary.  He said if the timing hadn’t played out how it did...he would have graduated and would never have paid attention to the missionaries.  The missionaries taught him one week before he would have graduated.  This man was called to be a branch councillor his first Sunday as a ward member.  Haha. Another awesome story.  He then served as a Branch President and a District President.  4 years after his baptism he served a mission at the age of 28.  People kept telling him he was too old but he knew that it wasn’t their decision....it was the Lords.  So....he did his interviews and the papers were submitted.  He knew that the Lord would have him go where he was needed.  He got his call and he served his mission in the Belgium/Nederland mission.  His mission impacted many.  His journal helped a young man go on a mission.  Our member friend is well known and his work is highly appreciated.  
I didn't get to write in too much detail but I hope you can see the example that my member friend set for us.  He put ALL of his trust in the Lord. He completely submitted and was down to do whatever was asked for him as long as it was good.  This amazing example has helped me see the importance of relying on the Lord.  I feel like we hold back being afraid that the outcome won’t be what we thought or the chance of nothing happening holds us back.  We aren't going to have these amazing experiences if we don't give the Lord a chance.  
I know I am going to start seeking the advice and relying on the counsel given to me from my Father in Heaven.  I know that He is with us.  I know that if we give Him the chance...He will show us that He is here.  Let us all keep our eyes single to the glory of God and let him reach out to us.  I can tell you that you recognize His work if you give Him all you’ve got. 
Love you all and happy belated Fathers’ Day. 
-Elder Holt

PS.  It sucks being in Europe when the World Cup is on when you are a missionary....I have promised not to watch voetbal. Jaamer

No comments:

Post a Comment