Wednesday, 5 March 2014

Week 15 - learning from our mistakes

  You guys always talk about Quinton and the more I hear I really want to meet him! That's such a hard thing  here in the field; not being able to hold the babies or pick up the kids, throw 'em around and wrestle.  So many of these rules in the mission you wonder like, what the heck that's so dumb, but at the same time I'm always reminded that people say that about the Law of Chastisty, the Word of Wisdom and not getting tattoo's but hey.....its been asked of us and we love our Heavenly Father, our Savior and the Gospel so we do them.  Even if we don't understand fully why but as we do so we see the blessings from being obedient. 
 
 This past fast and testimony meeting we had so many youth and kids go up and bare their testimony! I was surprised and impressed at the same time.  Their testimonies and the words and experiences they shared we're sooo strong.  All I could think about was Mosiah 3:19 and how they portrayed those traits in their experiences.  Those traits are seen as weak to many but I've come to know that once we see those traits as what they truly are, as strengths, we will truly flourish, start understanding the character of Christ, be able to strengthen and help others the way Christ would and just explode with strength to keep us on the straight and narrow path that is continually being bombarded by the opposition.  I love the Gospel so much and am sad to think back at the time I lost in my teens.  I see these youth and the kids and am strengthened so much by seeing their faith, diligence and desire to share the Gospel.  It reminds me of home and I really hope that we won't look back at our past with the, "I wish I did that..."attitude.  Time doesn't wait for anyone and the Lord has blessed us with time to progress so please......listen to what the Spirit prompts you to do and do it.
 
That's awesome that you guys get to go over to Alberta!  I'm so jealous!  Have a safe trip please!  That highway is something else with all that snow!  I remember Jenni and me treckin through a ton of snow and barely being able to see 10 feet in front of us and not being able to see the lines!  When you go can you please set up grandma's email so I can write her!?  I have a bunch of letters here for various people but I'm trying to write a few more so I can send them all in one envelope and get you guys to send them to everyone! I'm cheap, I know! But it costs money to send things away! Hopefully I'll get them sent this week but probably not.....haha I'll work on it. Tell Grandma happy brithday and tell her I love and miss her!  She's so young!  Dang...her and Grandpa taught me a lot that has helped me on my mission!  Even though I sucked at it there, cleaning and keeping things clean and in order has been happening becuase I had two good coaches!<3 Emailing is so much easier for me to do!  I would like to be able to write every letters but writing by hand takes so much time that I really don't have! 
 
Haha we'll see about the Dutch.....it's a really hard language but is truly the language of love, just listen to all those "G" sounds....heavenly.  Love it.  I've memorized 6 scriptures in Dutch...working on my 7th...planning to have 15 done by the end of the tranfer and have the 1st vision memorized in Dutch also!  The language is coming...maybe not as fast as my comps in Belgie and Nederland but it's coming.  I've been able to focus on the grammitical principles and am slowly learning vocab as I memorize scriputres and read my Dutch literature. 
 
This week was good.  We've been able to work with members and have learned a lot about how to get them to help us.  We have created a plan and are executing it nicely!  Yesterday was really the first day we had to put in a good amount of hours of straight work and were able to add 2 people to our teaching pool.  It's exciting to see the success of our plan.  Not only that but learning from our failures and continueing to build on it from these mistakes.  I was watching a mormon.org "I'm a mormon" video and a guy said something that I had to add this to my record of Qutoes.  He said, " There is no learning without failure".  I believe that 110 %.  I think that plays a huge role in the why we are here.  We learn a lot from our mistakes.  I've learned what not to do, or how I could have done better.  Mistakes or failures are vital in our progression.  As sad as screwing up is....we really learn from them.  And how awesome is it that we have a Savior that made it possible for us to screw up and yet be successful in returning to Him after our time here in this life.  I urge you to share this with everyone you know.  Be like the 4 sons of Mosiah.  Mosiah 28:3.  "Now they were desirous that salvation should be declared to every creature, for they could not bear that any human sould should perish; yea, even the very thought that any sould should endure endless torment did cause them to quake and tremble."  Think how much the Gospel has changed your life and recall the one who introduced to you or taught you the gospel.  Imagine them not doing so. Sucks right?  It's a good thing this gospel.  Not everyone is going to accept our invitation but at least we gave them a shot at it right?  And we can use that experience to learn. 
 
Man...I really just love the fact that we're able to share this knowledge with everyone.  I really wish I did this more before I came out.  I wish I just threw out the invitation more often.  I've come to know that if I don't send the invitation becuase I don't think they will accept, I'm kind of taking their agency away becuase I've made the decision for them.  We have this gift and blessing that has changed our lives and blessed not only ourselves but our family and friends also. Share it with invitations and testimonies.
 
Love you all,
Elder Holt
 
PS.  We got a member who hasn't borne his temstimony in years....like years... to do so on Sunday and how great it was.  I can tell you that the more you share you testimony the stronger that testimony will become.  If you are struggling, share what you know and you will recieve strength.  

No comments:

Post a Comment