Tuesday, 25 February 2014

Week 14 - Forget About Yourself and Get to Work

Testimonies are so awesome!  I'm so happy that I get the opportunity to share my testimony as a calling all the time.  I can't wait for this Sunday!  I love hearing the testimonies of others and receiving a personal witness of my own as they share their words of strength.  Our new convert was asking about how testimony meeting works and he really wants to share his testimony as soon as possible.  I guess after the baptism, it's encouraged that the members take over with teaching so the Recent Convert will be able to start moulding their foundation of the gospel with the support of the ward. It's been worrisome when things we feel would benefit the recent convert are not completed.  We really want to get him started on his genealogy and get him to the temple.  There is man in the YSA bishopric who was previously in the High Counsel for our stake here.  He was in charge of members or something like that.  He was was looking at numbers and wondering why all of these new converts were now in active.  After all of his studying he came to see that a very significant number of those that did not enter the temple to do baptisms for the dead within 2 months of their baptism became in-active.  Those that did were active and continuing to work towards taking out their endowments.  Just a cool insight I remembered as we went to go visit our good friend and recent convert last night. 
Right now we are working on getting the members excited to take on the next step in missionary work and creating atmospheres and activities for people to be around families and missionaries and not feel pressured towards becoming converted.  We had 1 appointment fall through with a member coming with us and the other house we tried they were busy.  He realized how important members really are.  He started throwing ideas on what members could do to soften the hearts of those we, the missionaries, are working with and are trying to work with.  We have a potential lesson with a friend of a member coming up later on this week and let's pray that everything will work out and she will share her testimony on how awesome it was to be a part of missionary work.  We're trying to light the jar full of gas and hope that we'll get some crazy reaction that will ignite everyone in the ward to find that sense of urgency. 
A lot of good and sad has happened.  My first golden investigator dropped us this week.  It is super sad to witness her feel the Spirit and to say such wonderful things and then to be told that she thanks us but doesn't think this is the best for her and she is happy where she is.  It was such a bummer but it's so important to focus on the positives because as hard as things may be there are ALWAYS positives.  It seems like whenever something negative or sad happens, there is a vital thing that can be learned from the situation but I've found that it's up to myself to find that lesson and to apply in my life.  We are given things but it's up to us to receive them. 
I've learned a lot of what is really important to me on my mission.  You start remembering things that you did, were a part of, or times you had with people.....you start to filter out the things that didn't matter and get excited about what you want to do differently.  I really miss my family.  Mom, Dad, brothers, sisters, Grandma's, Grandpa's, Aunts, Uncles, and cousins.  So many of my memories involve my family.  I've come to realize that time doesn't wait for anybody.  I really love you all and miss you.  Know that each and every one of you has had some influence on my mission/life.  I don't have time to record everything down but know that there is not one of you that has not been a part of my conversion.  Even if you are not into the whole church thing right now.  Each and every one of you has taught me a thing or two about life and that has helped me come closer to Christ.  Whether you like it or not haha ; )  I really miss my friends and love the times that I can recall.  I remember the sacrifices, the support and love that they showed me.  Friends, man, so good.  I wish that I was a better friend.  There are so many things that I know you all have done for me but I wish that I did more of the same for you guys!  Selfishness sucks and putting what you want first sucks even more.  Try and imagine a world where everyone put themselves first........so ugly.  I miss you guys too.  I am excited to hear of some of the changes and I am so happy.  Just, "forget about yourself and get to work".  Work and do things for "them" and not you.  Who cares if you want to watch the game or sleep....time doesn't wait for anybody and the more we sacrifice the more happy we will be.  Sleep will come later.  Honestly....If I had a day where the Lord said, "Alright!  You can have this day to do whatever you want!  I can bring you anywhere and bring anyone!  What's it gonna be?"  I would name all you guys, family and friends, and bring us all to......WEST EDMONTON WATER PARK with Asain Catering!!!!!! T'Jonge, jonge dat geweldig is!  Don't lose your time to be there for others.  Don't take the time you have now for granted to do things for others or be there others.  Don't lose time that you have to better yourself.  We're all going to get to a point where we are going to be looking for the service of others.  Start that chain of goodness.  Be the light.  I love you guys and hope ya'll are doing good.  I miss and love you. 
Love, 
Elder Holt

No comments:

Post a Comment