Tuesday, 28 January 2014

Week 10 - A Bit of Perspective

It's been crazy dry down here. We are having a state wide fast on Fast Sunday for rain.  It hasn't rained here once since I have been here and apparently It hasn't rained for almost 4 weeks before that.  We haven't had rain in almost 3 months or something!  And on the opposite end of the the country, they've getting dumps of the white stuff.  I really don't know what to tell you concerning my visa.  I know as much as you.  It hasn't arrived yet and it is coming.  I haven't been told anything else and am sitting in the dark with ya but I'm here for reasons and I will be gone when I am done. Do what I do and don't worry about it : )
The perspective that kids and investigators have are the best. Their ways are simple but yet complex.  They bring up views, questions or concerns that I haven't thought of. Things that I don't think about because I thought I had the answer and that was good enough.  I didn't realize that there was more to the picture.  I like to think of the doctrines of Christ and the teachings we recieve in the gospel as a "square".  We see one side of this "square".  As I speak with others about the gospel and they share their insights this square starts having more faces than the one I can see. Being able to study and ponder on these things in more detail shows me more sides to this square revealing parts that we can't see if we don't explore. This "square" slowly becomes a cube.  I've come to realize that there is so much to learn.....like way more than I could have ever imagined.  I think that the only way we are going to see the other sides of some of these "squares" is if we start seeing these things from the perspectives of others.  I have found that studying for others really creates this more detailed and more indepth persepctive.  Whether it be for an investigator, my companion or for you guys.  Learning is way better when I am not studying from "Jesse's Point of View".   
This past week has been pretty good.  We had an amazing lesson with our investigator who will be getting baptized here soon.  It's a blessing to have the families we have in our ward.  The members love missionary work so much here and are so good at fellow-shipping that it makes it really easy for us to teach lessons and help our investigators feel the love we should all feel as we come to Church.  We had an amazing experience with a new investigator.  After we discussed the restoration and taught about all that pertains to it, we all said a prayer together.  She has prayed to God before and has received answers so I figured that she prayed how we did.  I didn't expect her to cry when the prayer was done and tell us that she "felt that prayer".  The Holy Ghost is so essential.  We can say everything pretty darn well but it doesn't mean a thing without the confirmation and witness of the Holy Ghost.  I really wish I could explain to you how everything went down but I just can't describe it.  It is truly a joyous feeling when helping someone "experience" the feelings we sometimes take for granted.  I personally have taken this gift of the Holy Ghost for granted many times.  Being able to help others experience that really helps remind me of the worth He is and how important He is to God's plan.  I can tell that you things are going well here.  It ain't easy but I wouldn't have it any other way. 
We've all been given talents and gifts to help others experience this gift from our Heavenly Father.  It would really suck to be that servent that hid their talent and when our master returned, tell him that we didn't use what he gave us.  We want to be that servant that used what we were given to gain more or progress.  I don't remember if I have invited you to do this already but make a list of gifts that you know you have been given.  Ask your friends or family what gifts you have.  Now magnify that gift and use it to bless the lives of others.  Figure out how you can use that talent or gift to help others experience the truthfulness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. 
To those of you who have not taken the time to understand the teachings of Christ....do it!  haha Give it a shot....seriously...whats the worst thing that will happen? Its either true or it's not.  Have some fun and explore beyond our time here on earth.  I can tell you that this time on this earth is short and but a small portion to a bigger perspective. You were chosen to come to earth at this time becuase of the Gifts and Talents you have.  Find em and Share em
Elder holt

No comments:

Post a Comment