Wednesday, 22 January 2014

Week 9: Accountability


 We had our first exchange Sunday night to Monday evening.  It was cool to get to see how other missionaries get their work done and how they go about planning the day.  The Elder I exchanged with and I had a super good day.  It was one of those days where things just went well and you couldn't help but get excited to do more.  We contacted a less active and set up an appointment with him and his family, we contacted a dropped investigator and will be back to see her and we got to add two new investigators! The first day out in the field when I got to add someone to that list!  Our contacting was on fire that day! It was so good. I know not all days are like that but it was good have a day where it is like how you imagined it could be.
 
The mission has been really fun....It's crazy how time flies and I can't believe that we are already half way through this transfer!  It's been a good learning experience.  We had the trippiest Stake Conference I have ever been in.  We had a broadcast hearing from Elder Arnolds of the Seventy, Sister Burton of the General Relief Society, Elder Anderson of the 12 and President Henry B. Eyring! They spoke to us about getting missionary work done! Henry B Eyring shared a story about one of his last memories of his Grandpa.  They were sitting on the porch and his grandpa said to President Eyring, who was a kid at the time, "get em.  Go get your cousin."  He told President Eyring to be accountable for those you love.  We know that the path is straight and narrow.  A lot of the ones we love and care about are far from the path.  We need to step up and get them back on the path.  It may take time, but we need to lovingly and respectfully be bold in doing this.  There is a way to every heart and the Lord has blessed us with the ones around us.  One thing I wished I focused more on before I came here was helping the missionaries find people to teach or constantly, but not weirdly, weaving the gospel into discussions I had with friends, neighbours or strangers.  Everyone needs the message of the restored gospel.  Everyone.  We don't know what part that people are ready to hear about the restored gospel but as we talk, listen and let the Spirit teach us what they need to hear we will pin point it. People have and are being prepared.  We, as members of this church and having the knowledge we have, are accountable in sharing this message of truth and happiness.  I have a scripture that has helped motivate me to do this with everyone I come in contact with.  Jacob 1:19.  Jacob, the brother of Nephi, explains the importance of missonary work and talks about why he and his brother Joseph do what they do as far as preaching and teaching goes. It reads, "And we did magnify our office unto the Lord, taking upon us the responsablity, answering the sins of the people upon our own heads if we did not teach them the word of God with all diligence, wherefore blood might not come upon our garments; otherwise their blood would come upon our garments, and we would not be found spotless at the last day."  When we were baptized we accepted and became disciples of Christ.  We wanted to share the message and represent Him.  I am not saying to create lessons for those around you haha I am hoping to remind everyone to share the message, share a gift that we all have; that gift being our testimony.  Sincerely share your thoughts and testimony.  It only has to be 10 seconds.  Doesn't matter how long or intellectual it is.....just share it.  Share it as much as you can and help them become prepared.  I know that the more we do this, the stronger our faith and relationship will become.  I can assure you that people are more prepared that we think.  Don't worry about what you are going to say because The Spirit will do that for you as long as you sincerly pray and ponder for the person.
 
I have seen this work because I have allowed myself to magnify what I know and share the gift of my testimony.  People all around us are prepared.  Go out to them, get to know them, become their friends, when you are promted to speak....speak : ) One of the greatest joys is sharing your testimony and knowing that the Spirit touched their hearts.  Become accountable for the ones you love and know.  Reach out to them and when the time is right, weave the Gosepl into the conversation.  Love you all.
 
Elder Holt

No comments:

Post a Comment