Monday, 20 April 2015

Week 73 - A visit to Belgium

Goededag, 

Sounds like there´s a lot happening at home.  Everything is going to be so different!  The weather is getting really nice here in Nederland and Belgium.  We can walk around in short sleeves some days, almost all of the trees are budding and starting to have leaves, the flowers are up and sprouting and there are a ton of ducks.  Speaking of ducks, I ate my first duck flavoured Noodles and it was delicious.  I hope we get more ducks here.

This past weekend was Stake Conference. Luckily there are a few wards in Nederland that are a part of the Antwerpen Stake (Antwerpen consists of all the branches in Belgium) so we all got to go spend a bit of the weekend in Belgium!  Cool side note; Eindhoven is a 4 man and all 4 of us started our missions in Belgium so we are all pretty pumped to see the friends we made at the beginning of our missions. Saturday night we went to the Antwerpen Stake building and Sunday we went to Brussels in order to go to the Brussel Stake Building for our services.

Saturday’s service which was held in Antwerpen was cool.  I got to see Elder Krebs so we got to sit by one another and we were looking and looking for the members of Genk...but didn´t find anyone!  It sucked.  Luckily...Elder Ames and I were lucky enough to be crashing for the night at the Genk Elders Apartment so we got to make a couple surprise visits.  It was so cool seeing those people again.  So crazy how 1 year was so long ago and so much has happened but yet it felt like yesterday when I was seeing these people so regularly.  Shoot I missed them.  It was so nice to see them and laugh as we reminisced over the memories we made.  

Brussels was cool.  It´s a really pretty city and the part we were in had a really nice feel to it.  One of the Elders would say hi to people but no one would say hi back.  Another Elder pointed out that there was a possibility that they were French and that he needed to say bonjour in order to get a positive response.  Sure enough the first person that we came across and said Bonjour to responded with a smile and a bonjour.  

It was just transfer week and filled.  We spent Wednesday in Rotterdam centraal helping missionaries get to their cities, said hello to friends I hadn´t seen in a while and then said Good-bye to the ones that were going home or I probably won´t see again because they will be going home soon. Luckily Elder Ames and I will be serving for at least another transfer together! I´m looking forward to it.  He is a really dedicated and solid missionary and I have a lot I can learn from him.  We´re looking forward to making this transfer go down in history.

We got things prepared for the coming zone transfer.  We did our best to create a zone vision while being guided by the Spirit in order to create goals and things that will help the members of the zone strengthen their testimonies and faith as well as help them enjoy and see the success they are working for.  We have some amazing missionaries in the mission and some amazing missionaries in the zone.  It´s so cool to see the difference between them all and see the different strengths that they individually bring to the table.  It´s nice when they share their miracles and you can hear the excitement and happiness in their voice as they share it.  It helps me learn where true happiness comes from.

Unfortunately, before my mission, I loved to win and I did not like to lose.  This would cause me to have not the best of feelings towards another individual or to feel jealous of another. haha I´m sure we all have felt this feeling but this is something that has plagued me.  Especially when I learned that I didn´t want this trait and I would rather be happy for the success of others but for some reason...the feelings kept coming.

I´ve seen that there is a way to change our nature of heart.  One of the steps is spending the time, energy and thought in thoughtful prayer and meditation; to think and speak with our Heavenly Father about why we don´t like these traits or feelings, what we would like and how we would like to feel; to think about why you would like to have these feelings changed and to think of a plan of how you can have a change of heart.  As we do this, we invite the influence of the Spirit to teach us and help us develop the strength needed in order to change our nature and heart.  The other step is to catch yourself quick when you start feeling those negative feelings; to notice them and to overwhelm them with the positives.  Pick out the tiniest bit of the positives and keep throwing them on the pile of the negatives to the point where most of the negatives are buried by the positives.  A good one I start at is to see the smile they have to see them as God´s Child.  Then I start feeling happy because of the skills and talents that they have.

Jealousy and holding something against someone suck.  I had a good experience this week where I was asked to do a favour for someone but the favour was something that was best not to be done.  When I replied that I would not do it...the person got upset and ended up ending the conversation in not the best of ways. I was pretty dang upset that I was being portrayed as the bad guy and that I was only doing what I was supposed to and that this person would become upset the way they did.  As I kept pondering about this, I kept on seeing and thinking more and more negatively about the person until I got to the point where I didn´t want anything more to do with the person.  I knew that was wrong of me and that I needed to pull myself out of the hole I was putting myself in.  I thought hard and prayed hard and had the thought to get back in touch and see how they were doing.  The more we conversed with one another the more positive I started feeling towards them and the more love I grew for them and the more I started to remember that they were just like me, a human with feelings.  A child of God who does dumb things sometimes and that we learn from these dumb mistakes we do.  I remembered that God has patience with us and always forgives us when we do wrong...so why shouldn´t we.  

Be the one to make the first step and don´t get offended, let down or discouraged if things don´t go the way you were planning. Pray and do.

Love you all and have a good week!  Miss you all and I´m still praying for Brynn every day!  Love you cousin!


Elder Holt  


Chillen with the beloved Knoops Family

No comments:

Post a Comment