Monday, 6 April 2015

Week 71 - Thoughts on Conference

Talk about a General Conference eh?  Dang.  We got see Saturday afternoon, Sunday morning and half of Priesthood session....I´m hoping we´ll get the chance to see the rest because the talks we heard were way freakin´ good.  We watched some of the priesthood session with our beloved ward mission leader, ate some delicious fruit bowl dinges that his wife made and drank Jamaican Gingerbeer.  Fantastic.  Afterwards we drove on over to a good friend’s who treated us to a wonderful Easter themed General Conference where we watched the Saturday afternoon and Sunday Morning session. We ate amazing bunnies-in-blankets...I forgot how wonderful they were...with cheese and sesame seeds on top.  I hope they will be my future wife´s specialty...along-side lasagna and rice pudding.  There were some good talks.  ´´T´was I but T´is not I``.  One of the talks just reminded me of Mom and Dad.  It was the one where the member of the Seventy told the story of his sister who fell away and how he and his family loved her and always let her know they genuinely loved her. He expressed his grief and sorrow but also did not give up.  I wrote in my notes that all I could think about was Mom and Dad.  I was reminded about the long-suffering, endurance, patience and faith that they had.  It was interesting to hear that the words of the prophets helped his sister feel the Spirit again and helped her gain the desire and faith to come back.  The testimonies of others help one feel God’s love he has for them.  The words from a testimony are more than words that are heard, they are words that are felt.  They are the words that hit the soul-searching child of God deep inside that help them feel the goodness of our Heavenly Father and his Only Begotten Son. 

We had another MLC.  It was good!  This coming week we´ll be going to Keukenhoff and the temple and shoot.  I don´t really know.

haha Elder Ballard’s talk was funny.  I´m glad I still get time to be on my mission and don´t have to worry about dating....boy he said what was up eh?!  I´m excited to start dating but I feel like I was missing a big part of the picture when it comes to eternal relationships. 

Numero Uno.  Nummer een.  Number 1. Be like Pahoran. Alma 61 is where Pahoran replies to Moroni who just sent him a juicy letter letting him know how mad he was at Pahoran for not sending back up to help Moroni and his army.  I admired Pahoran’s patience and humility.  Many of us would be mad if we read a letter or heard words that came the way they did to Pahoran but Pahoran’s response was a big key in how an eternal relationship needs to work.  The very first part of Pahoran’s response, after he introduced himself was not....´´dude, chillout...you’re off fighting and I´m doing the same thing here with these people who are trying to throw away all the things you are fighting for...´´.  No.  He says in verse 2, ´´..I say unto you, Moroni, that I do not joy in you great afflictions, yea, it grieves my soul.  But behold, there are those who do joy in your afflictions...´´  Pahoran let his friend know right away that he is sad for him and that he did not enjoy seeing Moroni and his other friends going through the things they were.  He did all he could to not defend himself but to comfort.  Now they´re not a married couple but the same principle I feel is essential.  To put your feelings in the second place and to comfort with humility and to put away any words that may lead you to defending yourself. 1 Nephi 5 is a good example of a married couple.  1 Nephi 5:6 ´´And after this manner of language did my father, Lehi, comfort my mother, Sariah,..´´.  Comforting vs Self-Defending.  Don´t be selfish but think how you can comfort your spouse than trying to show or prove that it is not your fault. 

Numero dos. Nummer twee.  Number 2.  Be the person you want those around you to be.  How can we expect are loved ones or those around us to be something that we are not.  I´m a big believer in the phrase, ´´monkey see, monkey do.´´ Even if those around us don´t follow, what they see you do, makes an impact. Don´t worry about the person you were or are but focus on who you are striving to be.  The Saviour loves so much he paid the ultimate price for you so that he can understand how to help you and so that you could live with His Father who is your Father once again. He walks with you so that you will not be alone.  Focus on the path He laid before you in 2nd Nephi 31 and don´t sweat about the trips that come along with learning how to walk in His ways.  It happens but he will always help you up if you let Him so please let him.

Numero tres.  Nummer drie.  Number 3. Christ Centered Unity. The more we invite the influence of Christ in our life the more understanding and strength we will receive which is needed to acquire the guidance, knowledge and wisdom needed to have, ´´Christ Centered Unity.´´  There is a cool thing that I was shown a few months ago.  Draw a triangle.  At the point of the triangle, write, Jesus Christ.  At the left bottom point, write the name of your spouse and on the right bottom point, write your name.  Now follow lines going from the corner with the name of your spouse and your name to the point entitled, Christ.  What happens with the relations of the lines?  They become closer together.  As we make Christ the center point of our lives...meaning his teachings and example....we as a couple will become closer like the lines.  Reading the scriptures not only individually but together, sharing what you felt or learned, praying for your family ,individually or together, for your children or your spouse or those you serve, reaching out to those who are in need of help and the list can go on....will help us all build up Christ Centered Unity.  Like what was mentioned, do you think Christ will ask you what title or positions you held?  The success of your business or do you feel he will ask you how you cared for those around you?  Let´s all remember to care for those around us and push our self-defending feelings aside.  Be like Pahoran.  Be the person you want those around you to be.  Build up Christ Centered Unity. 

I kind of saw all of the good things concerning marriage but forgot that in order to become stronger, tension will be needed and to become who he knows we can be, we will needed to be molded.  It’s comforting to have the instructions needed in order to get through the times of tension and molding.  That doesn´t mean it’s going to be easy but He will always be with us. The question is will you allow your eyes and heart to open up to guidance? You know it will be worth it if you do.  Every day we can do something to help us overcome our selfishness.  Maybe it´s losing at cards on purpose.  Saying sorry even if you feel you are not at fault.  

Basically I learned that it´s not easy working with someone all the time.  It has a lot of ups but what goes up must come down.  I  learned a little more how easy it is to be selfish. I also kind of forgot that as parents you have to deal with kids who are potty training.  Ohmygoodness.  That seems so stinkin hard. No pun intended and that if we share the goal of our Heavenly Father as our goal....and that as we build together to become closer to Christ...that we will come closer as well.

Love you all and take care!


Elder Holt

No comments:

Post a Comment