Monday, 19 January 2015

Week 60 - A Few Questions Answered

Haha, it's hard to decide what to write home with the limited time that is given. I'll try and do better with answering life questions. I'll start off by answering the list that you gave me.  Our apartment is pretty dang sweet.  It's relatively new, it's clean, not too big and not too small.  Actually, we have a really nice view of a really pretty Mosque.  At night it’s lit up and you can't help but be grateful to see it. We can see a bridge called, ''The Erasmus'' which is also lit up at night and also the Feijenoord Stadium...I think we’ve got the best view in the mission.  You can see everything cool.  Yesterday...our appointment fell through. haha we met this man on....Thursday...set up an appointment for Sunday...went to his house...he wasn't home...started walking to our apartment to get lunch and just our luck....we run into the guy who we had the appointment with haha.  He was kinda shocked.  He explained that he couldn't meet this week but we set something up for next week and we got his number. That seems to happen a lot here haha.  We get appointments with people but then they fall through and the people don't really know what they are missing.  

Favourite thing I ate this week....shoot....that's a hard one.  I feel like I ate a bunch of delicious things but I'm going to have to say the Kapsalon. It’s kinda of like a more exotic poutine.  You got fries topped with cheese, a bunch of vegetables, some meat( I usually eat chicken) and some sambal sauce on top. So good.  But, we ate a ton of good food.  I ate calamari and a member made a delicious macaroni with beef mix and another member made a delicious casserole....so many things to choose from.

Well...as for the shoes...I have been wearing the Costco shoes a lot...and they're holding up wonderfully. I couldn't answer the Ecco vs Rockports question...sorry haha.  I haven't worn Ecco shoes.  They probably suck though because they’re not Rockports but that's my opinion. It seems like a lot of missionaries have neither for their proselyting shoes and for things like zone training, zone conference, mission conference and interviews, they wear the ''fancy'' on sale European shoes. Heck...I would suggest Costco shoes...however...if it pours...my feet get a little wet...I just can't stand the thought of my Rockports getting destroyed in the rain so I wear my Costco shoes.  My feet are going to get soaked usually anyways.  

Elder Krebs is a very funny dude.  He has a talent of taking a situation that can be awkward or something that one doesn't really want to do, say something funny expressing what he would like done, and then people laugh and it gets done.  He has been a good example of how much humour can help one be a leader.  For example.  If he sees that something needs to be addressed concerning behaviour...he can say a funny joke or a one liner that totally makes the situation funny while at the same time getting the point across. He's a super good teacher and the missionaries in the zone love him.  It's going to be a bummer after he leaves this coming Wednesday and heads to Brugge, Belgium. He can also take almost every sentence you say and end it by quoting a song or a movie.

The Grossest thing I have eaten on my mission is...there's actually not too many things that come to mind.  I would have to say the Rum chocolate that I bought ( I didn't know it was rum chocolate...on my first transfer I really wanted to try some Belgium chocolate. I asked the lady, who owned the chocolate store what her favourite kind was… she pointed to a rack of chocolates that looked really appealing and said something....I'm guessing she said the flavour but I had no idea what she said.  Anyways...I ended up buying some chocolate...It was like 10 euros for the chocolate!  As I pulled out the first chocolate, my mouth started to turn into a waterfall.  I couldn't wait to eat my first real Belgium chocolate from a real, authentic, Belgium chocolate store. Placed the piece of chocolate in my mouth and boom......tasted like rum.  It was horrible.  I haven't gone to another one of those stores ever since.  I also ate some anchovies from a bottle....that was not good either.  I think the anchovies were expired too.

The hardest thing about being asked to be a zone leader would probably be...well, I still see myself as a brand new missionary.  I see myself as the same old missionary that entered the MTC in November 2013.  Sometimes I forget that how others see me, is different to how I see myself.  I really don't like being the one to advise a missionary to do something different.  Whether it be with how missionary work is done or behaviour.  I would say that would be the hardest; to have to be the one to bring up ''problems''.  I guess it's a good skill to learn.  I do like how you get to work with a lot of amazing missionaries.  It's been cool to see the changes in missionaries.  To see them progressing with the language and with the way they work.  Your motives kind of change to.  You receive your joy from seeing and hearing about the success, miracles or awesome things that the missionaries in your zone experience.  The picture is less focused on you and more on them.  

Coolest thing that happened this week was probably...shoot.  That's a hard one.  Well...We met a lady yesterday who runs a daycare and has adopted a bunch of kids.  She is very faithful and has had many experiences that have helped her come to know that God exists and that Christ is her Saviour; that He is with her every step of the way.  We talked to her for a while trying to set up an appointment or exchange numbers but something was stopping her.  I remember my initial thought was, ''find those that will accept you…''.  I was waiting for that opportunity to say thank you for her time and then move on.  However...the more she talked...and the more I listened...I knew that listening to her share her testimony through her experiences is what was going to help her become closer to her Heavenly Father.  We listened and at the end...we thanked her...and said that we hope to see them again.  She then opened up and let us know where she lived.  We gave her a Book of Mormon and let her know that this book would help her to find that strength and guidance that is needed in this life.  It was pretty cool.  We also met a dude on the street who is a member from Aruba.  He hasn't gone to church since coming here but we're going to be meeting with him this week hopefully!

Weirdest thing...haha.  I don't know where to begin.  Well.  We met a guy on the street.  Started talking to him about the Gospel.  We talked about John the Baptist and asked why Jesus went to him to get baptized.  According to his answer, we told him that the same authority was restored on the earth and what we did helped people to come to know the truth for themselves and helped them become baptized by one holding the same authority as John the Baptist.  haha.  After we asked him what that meant to him...he said. ''Ik wil me laten dopen!''  haha he wanted to get baptized.  Unfortunately...someone yelled at him and told him to hurry up so he took off in a panic.  

The mission has been fun.  This week, as I mentioned earlier, Elder Krebs will be transferred to Belgium meaning that I will be serving with a new companion.  The Elder that will be coming to Rotterdam is a super good missionary.  I've been super lucky with my companions and it looks like that streak’s going to continue. He has 4.5 months left on his mission and is an amazing leader.  I'm excited, nervous and looking forward to serving with and learning from him.  This probably doesn't mean anything....but I thought it was a privilege to be the zone that is receiving all of the new elders that are coming in into the mission this transfer.  At least to my mind...that meant that the Lord will be wanting us to give it all we got to help this missionaries have an awesome start to their mission. Heck...we're getting one of the only 2 new sisters too. We were told that we'll be holding a zone training the first week of the new transfer again haha.  It's always fun doing that.  It's going to be fun!

Love you all and I hope you have an awesome week!

Elder Holt

No comments:

Post a Comment