Sounds and looks like it was a blast!
Dang. Fake New Year’s...Oliebollen...family
soccer...charades...games...family...friends...I'm happy that you guys had a
good time! It sounds like it was a good time! haha I bet Om Geralds
oliebollen were de lekkerste! haha they look like they were well cooked!
haha. Oliebollen are super popular here and on New Year’s...you got
huge line ups at the oliebollen stands in order to celebrate the New
Year. I was amazed that people would stand in line for like 20 mins to
get their oliebollen. Luckily we lived by one of the best oliebollen
stands in the city. Probably should eat a little better considering the
amount of oliebollen that we eat this past week.
So we had to be in our apartment by 4 pm on the 31st of November.
At 3:30 pm, stores had or were boarding up there windows with giant planks of
wood. It looked like people were preparing for a dooms-day. I was starting to
understand why we were asked to go inside fairly early. Fireworks are
huge here. It seemed like everyone was buying fireworks. They were
going off regularly but at 6 pm...it was like everyone thought it was 12
am. Crazy amount of fireworks were going off. Fireworks and
ambulances. I was trying to think how crazy it was going to get when the New
Year rolled around at 12 am. I was sleeping and forgot to set my alarm
for 11:55 pm, didn't matter because all the fireworks were our alarm
clock. I never could have imagined what we experienced in
Rotterdam. Fireworks were going off EVERYWHERE. Some were going off
not too far from our balcony. All throughout the streets, close and far.
I can't explain how much of a party it was. The streets were filled with
smoke due to the crazy amount of fireworks...all you could smell were fireworks....wow.
Would have never imagined that. Pretty dang cool. The next day
looked like mayhem. Firework boxes and holders over all the streets, and
nobody outside. It was like a ghost town.
Wednesday morning I woke up with a sore throat. Started to do all
I could to help it get better. Even slept a lot during the time we were
asked to stay inside during New Year’s Eve. The next day...I woke up with
an even more sore throat and feeling not too hot. We had exchanges
planned so I did my best to shrug it off, to get some time in with my
missionary friend and to fake it till I could make it… we had a really
good day. Got to see a lot of cool things. Filled our day feeling
productive and successful. But by 8 pm I couldn't fake it anymore.
We had to go inside. Throughout the day I had developed a cough
haha. I stayed in Friday, sleeping and drinking fluids. Saturday I
called Zuster Robinson...let her know what was up and she helped me to see a
doctor that day. Turns out I got Bronchitis...What the heck...I don't
remember getting sick like that in San Diego! So...I've been out of
commission for the past couple days. Doesn't feel good. These past
few days have really made me treasure the ability to be able to do the things I
can. I forgot how fortunate and blessed I was and I'm happy to be
reminded of that again. Heavenly Father blesses us all with so many
amazing and subtle things. Subtle to our eyes. But in reality...if
we think about it...these little subtle things have a great impact on our everyday
lives. This part is for Mom and Grandma. I got medicine from the
doctor and I have been taking my puffers. All is well. The cough is
almost all gone and I am feeling good enough to not lay down all day!
It's wonderful.
I really want to get better at seeing all the ''little things'' that my
Heavenly Father does for me. For He does many. James
1:17, ''Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down
from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of
turning.'' I have a goal to every night...recollect all of the
good things that I have or had experienced. Seeing His goodness will help
all to know that he is there and will help open up strength needed to
endure. He exists. This is a reality. Let us all enjoy
all He has given us and use this thankfulness to not be overcome by
the trials we will face. They will come. But good will always be
with us. The question is, will we allow ourselves to see this? Or
will we blind and rob ourselves of the truthfulness of
His existence.
I love you guys. It was so nice to see you
guys on Christmas! It was nice speaking with the people on the phone...I
love free internet things! Take care and have a good week!
Love,
Elder Holt
No comments:
Post a Comment