Thursday, 27 November 2014

Week 52 - Skate Contacting

That would have been fun to hear the Dutch names!  That's really cool that you got to go to the temple with the youth and the new member to the ward!  A member in San Diego who served in the High Council shared his thoughts about new members attending the temple.  He noticed that a high percentage of the members that didn't  go to the temple within 3 months of being baptized who were converts became less-active compared to the members those that did.  He encouraged us to get all of our friends to the temple as soon as possible so that they could experience the importance of constantly learning and experiencing the fullness of the gospel and to help them keep progressing.  I think that's super cool that she got to go!  Good Job!  Leaving at 4 in the morning though does not sound like the best.....maybe a little later is a better/safer idea.  Man....I can't imagine 25 youth in a ward anymore!  I remember in Ottawa when we had more than that.  It's so different being here...there are not a lot of youth.  We have been pretty blessed with the wards we grew up in.  Super blessed. 

Dang....those landscapes would be soooo nice.  Especially along those rest points or whatever they are called.  A lot of the Nederlands people loooove Canada for its beautiful scenery.  It's hard to remember what home is like now-a-days.  A member told us that there are some parts in North America that are buried in snow!  So weird to think about shoveling driveways!  San Diego last winter...no snow yet here or even weather for snow to happen.  Crossing fingers that we'll get some snow just before Christmas.  It would be nice to have a white Christmas.  But maybe only for Christmas seeing how it would really suck if we lost the possibility of using our bikes.....we kind of need those in our area.  If we didn't have them our work would be waaaaay slow. 

This week was a blur.  I feel like I say that every week.  I guess this week I just let the numbers that we share with the zone leaders get to me so last night I was just feeling overwhelmed and trying to figure out what the heck the problem was.  It's nice to know that we can go somewhere private and speak to our Father Heaven.  I find a lot of assurance having some experience recognizing answers and know that He hears our prayers and will help us.  I guess I allowed things to weigh me down to the point where I just needed to have a good long chat with my Heavenly Father.  The feelings and thoughts that come to our minds as we take the time to pray....and then pause to listen......really help clear and rekindle(I wanted to use reguvinate but I don't know how to spell it so I went with rekindle)your mind, your feelings and your spirit. A sister missionary once shared what someone had once told her about listening while praying.  This person said....Imagine someone tells you how they are doing, what's going good, what’s going bad and all the feelings that they are going through, asking for you advice and help but they never stop, giving you no chance to reply leaving you unable to actually help them.  I feel like whenever things start going good I will forget the little things such as allowing my Father in Heaven to try and help me or putting my trust in Him.  Sometimes I get so caught up in life and what’s going on where I forget something that I have been learning all my life like, ''trusting my Heavenly Father in all things.''  Heck, I share this with people very regularly.  Man I suck at spelling.  Curses Dutch spell-check.  People wonder why good things happen to bad people.  We may feel like we are doing so good as we do our best in following the steps of our Savior and then booom.......we walk into a wall.  We get spiritually hit.  I can speak for myself that if I didn't go through things like this....and it's sad to say...I would forget my Heavenly Father. 

Mosiah 1 :17 ''Therefore, as they were unfaithful they did not prosper nor progress in their journey, but were driven back, and incurred the displeasure of God upon them; and therefore they were smitten with famine and sore afflictions, to stir them up in remembrance of their duty.'' 

 haha I hope you all don't think that I am going apostate or being disobedient by me sharing this scripture. I like it because to me it explains that we all may have the thought to do something like to go and speak to someone, or to go and visit or call someone.  Heck it could the most simplest of things but sometimes, and it could be soooo good, but we shrug it off.  Everyone does it.  If you don't....I'm sorry...you gotta quit pulling the wool over your eyes: )  We ALL do this...it's ok.  haha that's how we learn.  When I shrug off an impression, to me, I am being unfaithful.  Last night we were biking and I saw the other side of the road and just had this feeling and desire that I wanted to bike on the other side of the road.  I didn't do it.  I kept biking on the normal path we take, contacted a dude....didn't go as one would intend....and then saw these 2 other people on the other side of the road.  All I could think in my head was, ''shooot.....that's why I was supposed to go to that side of the road.''  I guess I had many experiences this week where I felt that I knew what it was that I was being guided to do....but I was trying to.....rationalize....or justify...haha there's a word I really want to use but I can't dig it out of my brain.  Ok.  That dude that we contacted.  I felt the impression to bike on the other side of the street.  I didn't because I saw a dude walking towards us and no one on the other side. Because I saw this dude...I brushed aside the impression.  I guess the word could be reasoning.  I'm pretty sure reasoning was the word I couldn’t dig out of my brain.  Man I do that a lot.  I feel like this week was a week of ''reasoning'' for Elder Holt.  Dang that's a tricky thing not to do eh?  I was forgetting to trust in my Father in Heaven.  I forgot that these impressions, if they be good, come from God.  That they come for a reason.  I feel that because I shrugged these impressions that I did not progress as much in my journey of life and was being driven bac, (referring back to Mosiah 1 : 17). I was slowly becoming the person that was forgetting to include my God.  I started to feel the weight of feelings, responsibilities and all that become heavier and heavier.  How grateful I am to have been given the wake up call to remember my God. Sometimes we feel that they are unfair but what a gift it is to find answers to the why of things through the words of our Prophets of old and of today. I didn't fully understand why these feelings of overwhelment were coming from.  I was doing what I should, I was doing my best to be obedient...I didn't fully understand why these feelings came.  But now I have learned and experienced another lesson why God said we are giving afflictions ''...to stir them up in remembrance of their duty.'' We need these moments to help us remember things we may have forgotten.  I can promise you that if you are honest with yourself and do not try and sugar coat things with the intent of making yourself feel better....there will be a lesson that will bless not only your life, but to all those your Father in Heaven has put into your life. 

We went to Brussels last week to get our drivers licences.  Got to eat Belgian Friets and waffles.  I didn't get a Belgian waffle.  I ended up giving my money to a lady...I am sometimes a weak hearted kid.  There was a dude who was 25 skateboarding at our meeting and I really had the impression to go and skate with him. He came to grind the stairs where we were and he screwed up...giving me the opportunity to say hi and start a conversation with him.  We talked about skating....life...growing up skating.  It was awesome.  Well, Elder Holt wanted to skate so he asked his friend Lucas, (who was the skateboarder) if he could use his board.  Lucas replied to me with the comment...''in those shoes?''  haha We laughed and I asked if we could switch shoes so I could skate.  This dude was so cool that we switched shoes. I did a few things.  He challenged me to grind on the stairs and luckily it ended in success. It was nice to share a common joy that we found in life through skateboarding.  Turns out he quit drinking liquor because it cost too much, he didn't feel good after drinking and he found more joy in developing his talent in skating.  Talking to this dude and getting to know him, the Spirit helped me see how the Lord was preparing this young man to receive the Gospel.  While I was skating another missionary contacted him and kind of did the regular normal missionary contact; leaving me feeling like it would be weird to add what I felt the Spirit was helping me to say.  Sad to say that I allowed myself to ''reason'' myself out of it.  I really hope to learn to reason but at the same time trust in answers I know the Lord is giving me and try my faith and just go with it. 

Love you all and I miss you,


Elder Holt

No comments:

Post a Comment