Monday, 20 October 2014

Week 47 - Don't Be Fooled by Swans

Goede Morgen iedereen!
This week we went to Schiedam where we stayed overnight so that we could go to the temple the next day in Zoetemeer!  It was awesome to have gone back to the temple!  6 months was too long but it was good because these 6 months helped me to understand Dutch better so I could understand what people were saying a little better.  It was weird.  I sat beside a missionary who is on his 1st transfer in Europe.  I could tell by his movements that he was feeling a little overwhelmed.  I remember feeling that way too when I went to the temple my first transfer in Europe.  So I gave him the same advice my member friend in Belgium gave me.  ‘’Just relax and be like a baby.’’  So weird seeing others start their missions and coming to realize that my mission isn’t going to be forever.
After the temple we went to a couple’s house for dinner.  This couple served a mission in Suriname so when they heard that all of the Surinamers were going to be around the Den Haag area, they asked President Robinson if they would be able to have them all for dinner. Luckily this meant that all of their companions were invited too! They made some bomb diggity rice with a sweet and sour sort of sauce and a Suriname curry with vegetable sauce! Zeer Lekker! With the rice and veggie sauces we were brought some sort of hollowed out biscuit filled with meat and veggies…..ohmygosh.  I wish I remembered the name but a 90 year old Suriname lady made them and brought them.  Afterwards we ate some home-made vlaa but not really vlaa dessert.  We ate like kings. Fat kings. 
After our dinner and dessert we took some photos.  Haha it was really cool to see how happy everyone was.  Especially the couple who served their mission in Suriname.  They were so happy that they got to see these young men that they helped prepare to serve missions and to be active in the church.  After photos and fun, the couple asked if we could have a quick testimony meeting.  Man.  This was almost as good as the temple.  The feeling that came into the room as everyone bore their testimony was unreal.  It has gone down as one of my favourite events on my mission.  All these guys grew up together.  They went through a lot together and one by one, they were all called to the same mission.  How cool is that.  The Lord has a plan.  A fantastic plan.  And to see all these friends together, to see the happiness, strength and love that they shared with one another was really cool.
We didn’t get to serve in our area too long this week.  We were busy doing P-Day stuff Monday, left Monday night to Schiedam, which is close by North Rotterdam, stayed in Schiedam the next day because we didn’t get to the Schiedam Elders’ apartment until 11:30 pm from Den Haag, so we didn’t get back to Friesland till about 1 pm on Wednesday.   We however had a really good week.
By the time we got back to Friesland to serve, we had lost a Monday, Tuesday, and half of a Wednesday.  I was scared that we wouldn’t be able to achieve the goals we set for the week because of the time we had lost.  But, the Lord knows best and had a way for us to achieve these promptings we received as we set our goals and in some areas helped us do better than we thought we could.  We had really good lessons.  Taught more than we have in a long time. We now have 7 friends who are making progress in the gospel, 3 of which are working towards baptism and this week have appointments with them all and are planning on getting in contact with more people who are wanting to hear more of what we share. 
One of our friend is a single parent.  He has children and works full-time.  He has been investigating the church for a long time. We taught him…9 or so weeks ago….and finally were able to see him again.  The lesson that we felt prompted to prepare turned out to be exactly what he needed to help him progress in life by working towards a baptismal date.  When we shared with him that we felt that he could be ready by a certain date…he looked at us and said…I guess that means I need to stop smoking.  Haha.  I really admire his desire to help show his children the right way to live a life; to want them to grow up in the gospel.  Super cool person and I am excited to be working with him on achieving this goal that he desires.
We went to visit a couple who are less-active.  Our plan was to swing by and just get to know them.  Didn’t plan on reading scriptures or sharing a spiritual message but…the Spirit guided otherwise.  One of them said that they have been reading the Bible often enough but not the Book of Mormon.  We made a joke saying maybe he could teach us.  They laughed and said that that was our job.  He said that missionaries have some sort of gift with them as they teach. Haha…this was awesome to hear but also a tad worrisome.  Haha this man had faith that we would help him because we were called of God by a modern day prophet and we were his missionaries!  The Spirit prompted us to skim through Alma 17.  The Story of Ammon serving the king, tending the king’s flocks and the robbers come and scatter the flocks.  We would read a couple verses, talk about it, find how it related to life and helped apply what they read in their life.  It was really cool and a powerful discussion.  At the end…it was really quiet.  I hate it when it gets quiet but…my companion has been teaching me the power of silence.  We remained quiet and didn’t say a word.  After a minute, one of them said that this is what they needed.  They opened up about the feelings they have been feeling and how this story helped them to see what was needed to be done to stay strong and keep things going the way God desires of us.  It was really cool to hear and see that we had served our purpose.  To begin with them bearing their testimony about the missionaries and believing in them, to hearing them say that this was exactly what they needed.   Dang.  Sweet.  After our lesson they told us about an experience that they had with the lady who helps them with their house.  This lady was talking to them about how she misses the feelings of when she had God in her life.  She really wanted to get that feeling back.  The members told her that they knew people that could help her. They trusted us to help this lady.  They went and told the lady that we were the guys that they were talking about.  They invited her to meet us and to make an appointment with us.  She said yes and we met her.  We spoke with her, shared a super quick message with her and then exchanged numbers. Wow.  It was so cool to see that these members trusted us enough, after just meeting them, with a task like this.  The Lord is good.  We go through life with all it’s up and downs but the joy and peace that comes with the testimony that He loves us and will make everything turn out right is awesome.
The transfer is winding down and that means this coming Sunday are transfer calls.  It’s weird thinking that things might change, especially because we have had the most progressing friends ever and I can’t imagine teaching them without my companion.  Next week we’ll find out where I’m at. 
When we were in Schiedam waiting for our tram to go to the elders apartment at 11 at night…I went to go and hang out with a really beautiful swan that was in the canal beside the tram halte.  I thought that we would get a long like buddies.  I now know the real reason why the 'ugly duckling' was kind of the outcast.  Swans are mean things and they hiss at you.  What the heck.  He or she swam over to see me and then wanted to fight me like I stole its girlfriend. T’jonge jonge.  Don’t be fooled by swans.  They suck and are not pleasant birds.  I don’t really remember what other funny things happened….we ate on a pannekoekschip (pancake ship), super cool. Things are just going good. I really need my journal to help me remember everything. Sorry.  This is really long so I’ll stop before you get bored.   Love you guys and until next time!


-Elder Holt


We got to help a member with their yard work.  Things needed to get done before winter!

....what can I say....we look good.

On our way to the train station...we saw this fat shadow run accross the road.  We ran over to see what it was and boom.....it was Sonic without his super hero costume on.

No comments:

Post a Comment