Monday, 15 September 2014

Week 42 - Edify to Instruct




A hoedown sounds like a good time! We had a pioneer day a few weeks ago which was fun.  In it people did some line dancing so I guess that is pretty close. 

This past week was yet again, super fast.  I don't really remember much of it...I now know why missionaries keep journals...everything starts becoming one blur.  I guess I should start off with Elder M. Russel Ballard says thank you to all of you for supporting me on my mission.  He asked us all to express his appreciation to everyone at home  who is and who has helped me get to where I am today.  On Thursday we had a mission conference. It was awesome seeing old companions, members of past districts/zones and my MTC group. To top it all off we were privelaged with a visit by Elder M. Russel Ballard, his wife, Elder Halstom and his wife and Brother Dyches and his wife.  

This man is truly an Apsotle for our Savior.  He spoke with power, authority, humour and love all at once.  It went by to fast but I am excited about General Conference in a couple weeks.  He spoke about a lot of things.  The thing that I had taken the most is that our time here (serving a mission)is a magnifying chance for us to get to know the Savior and our Eternal Father but that it is also time for God the Father and His son, Jesus Christ, to get to know who we are.  Every decision we make...every action we do..defines who we are as people.  It determins we are going to be when we stand face to face with our Savior and Father in Heaven.  This was a sobering thought.  I had never thought about the impact that my decisions have the outcome of who I will be when that day comes.  He spoke to us on how we can instruct people.  He said to do more than what the Lord has asked of you and not to wait for someone to tell you to do or ask of soemthing.  He spoke about the topic, ''Edify to instruct.''  We were taught that when we are instructing that we should keep in mind that edifying means also to uplift.  We can not truly help those around us if we are not uplifting them as we seek to instruct them.  Whether it be with a friend, a family member, a co-worker, sibling, someone learning about the church....heck it can be a stranger from teh street..it doesn't matter.  If we do not instruct with the power of edification....are we truly helping them?  

Elder Ballard said many things that just made you pause and reflect on how you did things and helped you see how you could do a little better.  Good thing we had a 2.5 hour travel on teh train back to Friesland....had time to soak a little more in.

We started teaching another new friend.  Our friend is a really cool guy and has the potential to be play a huge role for the branch here.  We had an amazing lesson with him and have built a really cool relationship with him.  All of the things I like to do and same goes vise versa.  He is like a older, cooler version of Elder Holt.  One of the members that we have been working with came to church for the first time in a while yesterday!  She has an amazing hometeacher who has played the biggest role in them coming to church.  He is diligent, constanty visiting this member.  He mows the lawn for our member.  He just swings by to say hello.  He has taken his some teaching to a frienship.  I think the way it shuold be.  He visits this member more than 1 time a month...more than two times a month...if he doesn't visit her once a week he will at least call her to see how she is haha.  Really cool to see the fruit of love and dedication.

This week was transfer week.  Elder Thom and I will be serving another transfer with one another!  We're excited and ready to keep improving the area for the branch and the missionaries after us.  We will be getting 2 different sister missionaries in the district and 1 more set of Elders!  Crazy.  

Things are going good in Friesland. I was about to end my letter but I remembered I wanted to tell you all a story.  

So...there is a member here who is cousins with Brother Brent Purnell....i am pretty sure it is brent....but it might be brett....jammer.  Anyways.  This member who lives here is cousins with Brother Purnell.  I will call the member here Broeder Purnell for now on.  Broeder Purnell and his wife spoke to the congregation yesterday,  A councelor of the Branch President does the translating for the english talks that are given to the congregation.  After we sang a hymn, Broeder Purnell spoke with the Branch President and his Councelor for a brief moment and then apporached the pulpit.  He stated that his dutch was not good enough to speak to them in dutch but that he knew of someone that could help him.  He then told everyone that he wanted to ask Elder Holt if he would come and translate for him....oh crap.  How could I say no or act afraid infront the members that I am serving?  I couldn't.  So, I walked up there ready to do my best as I served Broeder Purnell and my branch family.  Broder Purnell stated that his talk was going to about about trials and adversity.  He shared that we can not always control when trials and adversities come or how they are going to come but that we can control how we re-act to them and how there are lessons behind every trail of adversity.  

He related to the councel that was given to Joseph Smith as he sat in Liberty Jail.  ''My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment;
 And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes.'' I lke the part, ''And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee...'' Facing adversity defines who we are.  The desicions we make through these experiences have the potential to bring us closer to God, If we endure them well.  They also have the potential to pull us away, if we do not endure them well.  I got to be a sort of object lesson for Broeder Purnells talk haha.  It was hard.  Nerve racking.  But worth it.  I hope that we can all remember our God and his plan for us as we face trials of adversity.  I have seen in my life, and more particurily on my mission, the blessings that come from not only enduring our trials but endureing them well.  

First time translating...and of course it is for a congregation haha.  Don't worry...the closing prayer of the sacrament stated that even though it was not the easiest to understand the talk, that the message behind the words was powerful and taught by the Spirit. haha it didnt help that Broeder Purnel is a lawyer.  He used some impressive terminology.

Love you all and until next week, 
Elder Holt

MTC district re-united at Mission Conference

Got to see his Nederland Vader

No comments:

Post a Comment